Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Off To A Jolly Good Start

Oy. I have a bad feeling about today.

So, my new commute is a five-mile bike ride, which is normally no problem - good exercise, mostly on bike trails, a nice way to start the day. Ok, fine. Except this morning, about half a mile on, I swerved to miss some stuff in the road, and the edge of the sidewalk reached out, caught my front tire, and took me down. Many martial arts classes worth of falling practice paid off, and I came away more or less unscathed - a bit of the road in the palm of my hand, a serious grass-stain on the shoulder of a fairly nice T-shirt - but when I picked up the bike, I noticed something was awry.

Specifically, the handlebars were at a 45° angle to the front tire. Not ideal. Anyway, I walked back home, got a wrench, and after a great deal of muttering and puzzling, managed to figure out what needed loosening and what needed a good whack to get it all back in alignment. Tightened the thing back up, and hit the road again.

Arrived at work a good hour late, which is fine, except I need to purify a protein today, which I don't know how to do, and I was planning on lots of time to figure it all out.

Oops. speaking of which, I'd better go pull it out of the centrifuge. Remind me to tell you the sad saga of the Moronic Squirrel some time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike! Tell us the Sad Saga of the Moronic Squirrel!

Roman said...

Wow, a five mile bike ride. Biking to RIT would, quite literally, be suicidal. Also, I have not ridden a bike since I got my driver's license. I'm really pretty much made of pizza dough at this point.

Mike said...

It's not so bad, really. It's very flat here and the ride is almost entirely on bike trails. There are a few hairy stretches where I need to ride on the road, but even there, I've got bike lanes to work with. My main complaint so far is that pretty much no one knows that you're supposed to walk on the right when you're walking on a bike path, so that you can see bikes coming and not get hit in the back. For some reason, these people also invariably dodge to the left when you come up behind them and say "on your left," to warn them. Gah.