Saturday, January 28, 2006

Less Old Timey Than Is My Wont


Hey, hey! Mosey on over to Old Timey, Dammit for my latest recording. "Wagon Wheel" is an old Bob Dylan song, but I don't know if he ever actually recorded the thing. I learned it from an Old Crow Medicine Show album.

Note the three-finger banjo picking, as opposed to my usual clawhammer style. Nothing fancy, but I just wasn't able to make my usual playing fit the texture of the song. No one will mistake me for a bluegrass musician anytime soon, but it's nice to know I can hold onto that rolling rythym for a whole song without losing it.

Edit: I've put up a new, slightly improved version of "Wagon Wheel". After a listen the next day, I did some minor remixing. The rythymic failure at the beginning of the instrumental bridge is less obvious now :-)

2 comments:

Roman said...

Great tune. I really like it.

Mike said...

Thanks! I've liked this song ever since I first heard it. It's fun to sing.