Saturday, February 04, 2006

Science!


Well, despite teaching, classes, and obstinate viruses, research progresses apace. Apparently a group at MIT is hot on our heels with the stuff I've been working on, so Jorge's been on my neck about the whole bluB project. Oy.

I have made some good progress recently. For example, now I know why the people who originally discovered this gene called it a "blush" mutant, as you can see here. I've also got pretty good genetic information pointing towards our hypothesis being correct, and towards the presence of a possible transport system. I've even had some progress on the crystallography front! They're tiny and ugly, but it's a start. Cross your fingers and think good thoughts about X-ray diffraction. All I really need now is to show activity in vitro, and I'll have a story.

If everything works out, I may be getting an undergraduate minion to help out, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the blub project? i think you guys just make up these names to add entertainment value

Mike said...

Hey, I didn't name this one. Blame Gabrielle Klug and company. They named the gene 3 down from it "bluE", too.

Roman said...

Push your minions around in an imperious fashion - serves 'em right.

Mike said...

The only real temptation will be to call him "Igor", but I'll try to resist...