Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!




Well, things were pleasantly quiet in the Gray and Taylor household this Thanksgiving, and I think we have to call it a success, even though it was just the two of us. We'll certainly have leftovers to last us the rest of the week, if only because I don't know how to make seafood bisque for a party of fewer than 12. Ah, well. It did turn out well. We got some nice scallops on sale at the new Trader Joe's, and they were the highlight of the dish. The garlic bread turned out well, too.

We gave the cats some juice and meat from the can of salmon I tossed in there, but it only confused them. They were expecting tuna, and weren't at all sure about this new fish. Kaiyo ate his, but Tobu just drank the juice. Not an adventurous soul, that cat.





The turkey was a bit experimental. We got a 3 pound turkey breast, rubbed it with Penzey's Bavarian spice rub, strapped some bacon to it, and rotisserried the sucker in our little George Foreman electric rotisserrie. Mmmmm. Mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli on the side were pretty easy. We cut corners a little with the stuffing - it's StoveTop, but it was good.

I think I need to start tying bacon to more foods. We have declared bacon to be the new Official Condiment of the House.





Pumpkin pie seemed a fitting close to the day. We're both nicely filled, but not overstuffed. It's nice to have a big Thanksgiving party with firends and family, but this was a much-needed break for us. It's good to have a day off with nothing to do but cook every once in a while.

No comments: