
Despite having to work this morning, Anita and I went off to see a concert last night at the Union Theater. It was too good to pass up: a double bill of Karan Casey and Lunasa. It was a serious dose of quality Irish music. I've been trying to come up with a good metaphor for how to describe someone playing the Uilleann (pronounced "illin") pipes. It's a little like watching a man wrestle an octopus while taking apart a manual transmission and a little like listening to the bastard child of a bassoon and a hot-water heater. Amazing instrument.
We saw these two acts perform together in Ithaca a few years ago, at Kennedy Hall, and this show was even better, if only because we didn't have to flee from a 15-minute local children's chorus act in the intermission.
Turns out Karan Casey and her band were in Ithaca last week, and got caught in the same snowstorm I did. Who knew?
No comments:
Post a Comment