Saturday, April 04, 2009

Cookin' With Cat #4


Well, as promised, it's time once again for Cookin' With Cat. Kaiyo says, "If I'm going to be an internet star, I demand that you make more recipes with tuna." Maybe someday.

Today, however, we have a very simple, delicious Provençal Chicken and Tomato Roast, modified from the same page of the Gourmet magazine as the Monte Cubano sandwiches we made last week. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this issue!

We started out by putting a Pyrex baking dish in the oven and preheating it to 475°C. Then we took a package of chicken thighs (about a pound), and tossed them with a tablespoon of olive oil and a quarter teaspoon each of salt and pepper:

The next step was to cut up three tomatoes, 2 celery sticks, and two large potatoes into convenient bite-size pieces. It's important to cut the potato into slices no more than a quarter inch thick or so. Then we tossed that with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and more salt and pepper (again, maybe a quarter teaspoon or so of each):

Pull your preheated baking dish out of the oven and put the oiled-up meat and veggies into it:

Roast for 20 minutes, then turn over the chicken and roast for 15 minutes more. Then, pull out the pan and scatter about a cup of halved grape tomatoes, a tablespoon or so of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, and some olives over the vegetables:

Drizzle a quarter cup of water over the veggies and roast the whole shebang for 10 or 15 more minutes, until the chicken is golden and cooked all the way through.

Et voila! Simple to make, and pretty tasty. It made excellent leftovers. I think I'll probably add more sun-dried tomatoes and some herbs (probably herbs de provence) next time, but the basic principle is sound, and it's next to no work to make. Enjoy!

No comments: