Tuesday, June 14, 2005

And I don't even like viruses!

There's an article in this month's ASM News which just blew my fragile little mind... A research group in France just sequenced the genome of mimivirus, which looks like this:



The kicker is that mimivirus is fully 400nm across, and encodes over 1200 genes. that is to say, it's both significantly bigger in size and gene content than a good number of parasitic bacteria. It has enough highly conserved genes that they were able to place it on the phylogenetic tree of all life as a fourth domain branching off near the root of the eukaryotes. I love this stuff.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

2 comments:

Roman said...

That is pretty cool. I miss science.

Mike said...

Hey, man, science misses you, too. :-)

I like my job. There's no money in it, of course, but I get to toy with the very stuff of life itself!! Ha ha ha!


Sorry. Got a little carried away there. You know how it is...