Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I got your "old-timey" right here


As requested by Dan, I've recorded some more old-time music for you all. This one is called "Reuben's Train", and is closely related to "900 Miles", which you may have heard. Of course, this being the old-timey version, it lacks certain frivolities. Like chord changes...

It also represents the recording debut of the Woodstock Banjo-Tam, an instrument peculiarly suited to this kind of song, since its frets are too close together to be played by human fingers. However, now that I've figured out that the correct tool for tuning it is a screwdriver, I think it works out fairly well.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Roman said...

Does the Woodstock Banjo-Tam use ukulele strings? It sounds like you've discovered a cool new toy.

Mike said...

I think so. It's still got the nylon strings that were on it when my Dad gave it to me a year or two ago. The instructions say to tune it like a ukulele (GCAE), but I just put it in open G. Seems to work all right.

Anonymous said...

Chop down the still?? No!

Mike said...

Love conquers all, man!