Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Data!


Hey, look! A chlorophyll phenotype! The black line is wild-type, the red line is my mutant, and the green line is what you get when you add back DMB to the medium. Trust me, it's awesome. :-)

Anyway, stuck at the lab 'til midnight tonight. Cursed protein is mighty damn slow, and I need those 10, 12 and 14 hour time points. I have beer, a book, and a banjo, though so life is good. My career is weird, but fun.

I finally picked up Scientific Method in Practice by Hugh Gauch from the library today. Chris Jones had recommended it last time I was in Ithaca (lo, these many moons ago), and I finally remembered it while over at Steenbock. It's a textbook on the history, philosophy, and fundamental principles of science. You'd figure that sort of stuff would be standard in a scientific education, but you'd be wrong. It promises to be an interesting and valuable read. We'll see how it goes. The first chapter is good.

2 comments:

Roman said...

So, what do the blue and purple lines mean? Are they the results that you wished you hadn't gotten?

"The purple line represents unintended consequences, and the blue line resulted from spilling Pepsi onto the experimental set-up."

It's like reading undergrad lab reports all over again...

Mike said...

It's much more likely to be coffee around here, although I believe someone did manage to mess up some experiments pretty well on the last Margarita Day...

Blue is feeding a precursor molecule which shouldn't have allowed chlorophyll production, and purple is feeding complete cofactor, which (in theory) should have looked a lot like the black & green lines. I've changed the theory, though, so it's all good. The only trick is explaining it in the paper so that the reviewers don't think I'm entirely insane.