
I'm off to the conference celebrating the 30th anniversary of the discovery of the archaea this afternoon! Should be a great conference, and Jorge's even using some of my data as part of his talk there. Anybody got any pointers on places to eat in Urbana-Champaign?
3 comments:
I should be able to recommend places to eat and hang out in Champaign/Urbana. I really should. But I don't know what's changed in the last 7 1/2 years - what may still be there, what may be gone.
If you are staying near the university, the Illini Inn (4th and Daniel) has good pizza and a Chapter House-like student pub atmosphere. The White Horse (on Green St.) has great bar food. Both have an ok beer selection (with the Illini Inn probably winning in that category).
If you want to explore downtown Champaign, it seems like stuff has changed there. Check out a dining guide here. The Great Impasta has decent Italian; Boltini is a very unique, slightly upscale bar; a lot of my friends liked Jupiter's for pizza, but coming from the Pizza State I found it merely adequate; I used to hang out at the Esquire a lot because of cheap beer - don't remember if they have food or not; The Blind Pig Co. did not exist while I lived in C-U, but they boast the best beer selection in downstate Illinois. You'll find the selection of ethic restaurants to pale in comparison to those in Madison, unfortunately.
If you want to explore downtown Urbana, well, there are not as many options there. The most memorable is the Embassy Tavern, which is sort of a biker bar, but they also have really good bar food and a cheap (but limited) selection of beers.
Have fun out on the prairie!
OK, so it's actually been a little less than 7 years since I moved from C-U, but who's counting?
Thanks for the advice, Roman! I'll post a full report of the weekend sometime soon. It seemed like a nice town.
Post a Comment