The Hannukah season is off to an early start this year! I'm now the proud owner of a lovely baritone ukulele and what is easily the nicest instrument case I own. It's a great sounding little guy; lots of fun to play.
I was poking around the web, looking for uke chord charts, when I made a terrific discovery. Check out The Cipher. It sounds like a Dan Brown novel, but it's actually a really cool and intuitive system of music theory for stringed instrument players. I haven't dug into it very deeply yet, but after reading the first few pages, I can play you a major scale in any key in multiple octaves across the guitar fretboard. Powerful stuff!
Of course, I found it because he's got the system all worked out for a bunch of other instruments, too. Ukulele for sure, but you know that viola da gamba that's been collecting dust in your hall closet all these years? Now you know what to do with it.
The only fretted instrument he doesn't cover is the banjo. Ha! Take that, music theory!
It also turns out that the baritone ukulele is tuned the same way as a lute, suggesting a whole new source of repetoire, once I figure the little sucker out...
No comments:
Post a Comment