Thursday, July 21, 2005

Damn That Cotton Gin!


Hey hey! Tune your internet to Dan's webpage, where he once again features my humble banjo picking on his podcast! Thanks, Dan! I appear to be serving as a symbolic representation of timeless "traditional values", or some such thing. Perhaps I am the Anti-Techno! I have inherited a bit of a Luddite streak...

But damn it, Dan, if you're going to keep improving your production values this way, I'm going to have to figure out some way to make my recordings sound better.

(Um, actually, I hate to mess with your symbolism and all, but the "melodic clawhammer" style I'm playing in on that piece really only dates from the 1970's or so... A real old-time musician would never think of playing a melody like that on the banjo. That's what fiddles are for.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, compared to the techno, the '70s are still "old timey", so the symbolism still works.

Mike said...

Fair enough. Sigh. Will I never be hip and trendy?

Mark my words, one of these days the trends will come around again, and for one brief, glorious moment, I'll be where it's at! One day...