
So, I've been a bit busy lately. My folks are coming to visit this weekend, so I've been trying to get everything squared away before they arrive. However, for those of you who need more distractions in your lives, check this out:
Radio Memories is a podcast of some great old time radio shows: westerns, sci-fi, comedy, you name it. I've been listening to Groucho Marx while updating my notebook this morning, which makes for an interesting contrast.
I remember when I was a kid the NPR station in Oswego would broadcast all of these wonderful old shows from 9 to midnight every night. It was great. Jack Benny, The Shadow, X-Minus One, The Goon Show, all that good stuff. Hence my ability to explain in reasonable detail who Fibber McGee and Molly are, and how they relate to the Great Gildersleeve, while being utterly incapable of naming a single member of U2. I do have a certain amount of cultural literacy, it's just 50-80 years out of date, that's all.
2 comments:
The only exposure to these kinds of shows I've had is through "Weekend Radio" on NPR. I might have to check out that podcast.
If you google up "Old Time Radio" you'll find a tremendous amount of stuff out there. I've found a couple of streaming "channels" with old radio shows, too, but the podcast format is more convenient for listening off and on at work, you know?
Some of it's pretty hokey, but there's some astonishingly good material there.
Post a Comment