Saturday, July 09, 2005

Getting plunky


Some great confluence of stars seems to be pointing banjo-ward of late, so I've recorded a little bit of melodic clawhammering for your listening pleasure... Point your internets to my music archive and you will find a little banjo picking under the title "Bonaparte's Breakfast."

It's a medley of two traditional tunes: "Bonaparte Crossing The Rhine" and "Whiskey Before Breakfast." I was going to call it "The Tendonitis Set", but thought better of it. There's a few missed notes here and there, but believe me, this is far and away the best take. Let me know what you think!

10 comments:

Roman said...

Your banjo playing keeps improving - quite nice! I do admit that I'm more impressed by the fact that you are able to record and mix your banjo and guitar parts together. Technology - woo! Banjo playing - double woo!

Mike said...

Why, thank you! Glad you like it.

I'm afraid the recording and mixing process isn't actually terribly impressive, when you see it in action. My Powerbook came with some very spiffy software called GarageBand which is more or less idiot-proof. The hardest part was figuring out that I needed an extra gizmo to get the microphone connected to the computer.

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys! When's the next PRTMO reunion?

Mike said...

I dunno. When's good for you?

Location is the trickiest part, I guess. We're all very scattered these days. We could all meet in Memphis. Or Paris. I hear Paris is a hotbed of happening jug band hoedowns these days.

Mike said...

(I'm actually not kidding. It's probably easier to pick someplace we'd all like to meet and rendezvous there than gather at someone's house. I just re-read the above and it came across sarcastic, which wasn't what I meant at all...)

(This message brought to you by Mike's Paranoia. Thank you.)

Anonymous said...

Well, I've pretty much used up my travel budget for the year. We actually are planning to go to Tennessee next summer, but it's for our anniversary. I don't think Steve would appreciate me skipping out. "Honey, this is very romantic, but I've just gotta go play some jug band music..."

Mike said...

Oh, come on! We could play all the romantic jug band songs...

Anonymous said...

Is "Bonaparte's Breakfast" all public domain? Can I use it on my show?

I really need to pick up the ol' mando sometime soon.

Mike said...

Yup, absolutely public domain. "Bonaparte Crossing The Rhine" has been around since well before the Civil War (during which it was also called "Sherman's March To The Sea"). I don't know how long "Whiskey Before Breakfast" has been around, but it's one of those old Irish fiddle tunes, so I expect it's pretty old.

Arrangement by me, but you have my permission to use it, if you'd like.

Oh, I've definitely been enjoying your show lately. The sound effects are a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

With access to new banjo tunes, it will only keep getting better.

Thanks!